October 30 – November 13, 2017
Kaulitz Press is offering a 15-day workshop and residency program in Monoprinting & Collagraph development as unique objects or in conjunction with more traditional intaglio processes.
Kaulitz Press, high in the Andes in Cuenca, Ecuador, is situated at the home and studio of Garry Kaulitz, internationally known artist/educator. Kaulitz Press is a small but remarkably well-equipped studio and compound located in beautiful Cuenca, Ecuador, “the Athens of South America”.
While doing your residency you will live with the Kaulitz family, Garry and Kathy and their 3 pets Luna (dog), “T” and Chaka (cats) in their 11 room house with 4 bedrooms, a music and book library, separate print library, print shop and 2 private studios. There is also a large yard with patio, fruit trees, roses and many indigenous trees, perfect for outdoor meals and relaxation. We are located in the colonial district within walking distance of restaurants, events, shops and nightlife. Cuenca boasts a year round temperature of 70’s during the day and 50’s at night.
This is a perfect situation for exploring the unbelievable depth of monoprints and collagraphs as stand alone processes or in conjunction with traditional intaglio printmaking. Since we select only two residents at a time, you will receive unsurpassed, individualized instruction geared towards your visions. Kaulitz press has the capabilities to facilitate any of the print processes to augment your adventures with monoprints and collagraph
Cuenca is nestled in the central highlands of the Ecuadorian Andes at 8000 feet, just 45 minutes by plane from Quito and just 6 hours from Miami or Dallas. Cuenca, a colonial city of 600,000 people, is noted for its active arts and crafts scene. It also boasts as being the home of 7,000 to 10,000 expats as well as being a UNESCO historical city.
Of all of the cities in Ecuador, Cuenca is arguably the most charming with its cobblestone streets, old-world cathedrals, colonial parks and urban rivers. The city is very walkable, but with very inexpensive and varied transportation. During your stay one of South Americas largest crafts fairs will be here commemorating Ecuadorian Independence Day.
In recent years, Cuenca has become a hot spot for expatriates and retirees from all over the world settle down to live. Safety, low cost of living, drinkable municipal water, and pleasantly cool climate attracts expats to live in this small Andean city.
The famously traditional Cuencanos continue a proud intellectual tradition that has produced more notable writers, poets, artists and philosophers than anywhere else in Ecuador. Cuencan culture and history are represented in the city’s many history, art and crafts museums. Those seeking culture in Cuenca can choose from a variety of museums, churches and colonial plazas. By night, bars and restaurants are plentiful and bargain priced, with excellent traditional and international foods. Nightlife in Cuenca ranges from bohemian to upscale. If you are a hiker, the Caja National Park within Ecuador’s section of the Andes is noted for its hiking, fishing and sights is only 45 min away.
- 15 day residency to study collagraphs and monoprinting in use with traditional intaglio printmaking
- Exclusive, 24/7 use of a complete 450 sq ft small format printmaking studio (max paper size 22×30”). Studio is non-toxic and imagon friendly. Garry Kaulitz will use the facility but never at your expense.
- Separate resident studio
- Each resident will have a $150 credit towards paper & plates (additional paper and plates not included). All other printmaking materials provided.
- Breakfast and lunch Monday-Friday
- Evening meal Monday-Thursday
- Private bedroom
- Access to a large art library, print library and music room.
- Daily “hands on” instruction with master printer Garry Kaulitz
- Live in a family atmosphere including use of kitchen, laundry, large yard with only a 20 minute walk to center of historic district
- Unlimited Internet
- Spanish useful but not necessary
- Final weekend exhibition at local gallery
- Airport pick-up and drop-off
- Cost excluding air fare: $1850